Re: Pentium 4 Optimizations

> Even if I don't gain anything, I just don't want my binaries to run on a
> bloody 386 SX. Period.

If procinfo shows 91% idle (as it does on my Athlon), then how much is
there to gain? 10% of 9% is bugger-all.
I CPU used is about 3%. But that really is not the point as I explained above.

Did you build OpenOffice.org? XFree takes a while too. Much more than
glibc, gcc & the kernel.
Not using any GUI and don't have any of these on my system.

> Does this mean no one is using a P4 or are they moving their binaries
> between their P4 systems and 386 SX'es? Linux distros work almost on
> anything and I doubt this is suitable for the newer generation of CPUs.

I think that, on reflection, most people reckon it's a waste of time.
I do not see this as a waste of time when you have 30 identical machines. Also are you suggesting that P4 has no difference from a 386 except higher clock speeds (this holds true between P3 and P4 though)?

In my experience, that might mean that there's a problem that hasn't
bitten you yet.
I do not understand why anything would go wrong. I am not here to try all available GCC flags. A simple march=pentium4 looks sufficient.

Thanks!

Jimmy