Re: APT

On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Viktor Vislobokov wrote:

> Joshua Daniel Franklin wrote:
> > By the way, you can use apt with RedHat. See:
> >
> > http://apt.freshrpms.net
> >
> > for packages and more links.
>
>    Thanks, I know. But I ask, "Why RH is not use APT?",
> if APT is popular package managment tool and more flexible?

There are some answers to this question buried somewhere in RH7-7.3
(+betas) mailing list archives, this discussion has taken place a
few times before...

Some of the things mentioned (if memory serves, that is) by folks from RH:
- support (not wanting to support several upgrade methods etc)
- dislike for C++ (or the way its used in apt)
..and some others I can't remember.

> If APT has serious defects, I want to see it. Please!

>From what I've seen the worst problems with APT tend to be in
dist-upgrades from one (RH) version to other, which largely seem to be
because of some differences in the way it looks at dependencies compared
to rpm itself. A recent example of this is when upgrading to RHL 8.0 with
apt: libgnomeprint in 8.0 has a PreReq on itself (!!) and while RPM-4.1
happily upgrades/installs the package, apt complains and bails out
(rightfully, IMHO)

--
	- Panu -