Re: APT

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002 13:36:31 +0200 (EET), Panu Matilainen
<pmatilai@welho.com> wrote:

>On 28 Oct 2002, Chris Tooley wrote:
>
>> Apt has some deficiencies in it's dependency resolution.  It's really
>> good, but up2date came along before apt4rpm and it doesn't require a
>> special repository to function, any ole ftp server will work.
>
>Uh. Up2date certainly does NOT work with "any ole ftp-server" as it
>requires the RHN backend server to do anything at all. Apt doesn't need
>any special server running, any ftp/http server will do provided you
>generate the indexes on the server first.

It's also not necessary to have the indexes in the same directory as the
files (though they need to be on the same http/ftp server). This is useful
in my situation, where I have a read-only NFS mount of someone else's
mirror.

That said, I'd agree with the earlier comment about dependency resolution.
Apt is fine for small things, but big upgrades tend to need some care. I
have a feeling this may be partly caused by deficiencies in the dependency
information in Redhat packages themselves, though I can't give specific
examples and so may be being unfair

Ganesh