Number of CPU's...

Hi,

A while back we had a discusion about how to detect the number
of cpu's that were really on the system.  The previous discussion
was centered around hyperthreading, but I am not really concerned
with that aspect of the problem.  What I would like to be able to
do is be able to know how many cpus are physically on the box
as opposed to how many are being used.

For instance, if I booted a duel processor box with the
boot parameter:

	maxcpus=1

and then looked at the file /proc/cpuinfo there would only be
information concerning the one used cpu.  Is it possible to find
out how many cpu's are actually on the box while it is
in this state?

Thanks...james