Passwd ! Help

ear Sir,

I would appreciate for quick help because I am operating a medium size
network & all stuck up.

we use RedHat 7.1 for authentication of our network users with

passwd -l username & passwd -u username

commands to lock & unlock them. System was working a long long way.

But now, it authenticate users but dont change their status & on above
commands issued the following errors:

"Changing password for user username
Locking password for user username
passwd: Error (passwd not set?)"

Same behaviour with orginal passwd & shadow files (i backup new system
files at installation)
I have run pwck, pwconv & pwunconv utilities and same status.

It means something goes wrong at passwd mechanism, would you like to
advise me?

Your early response will be highly appreciated.

Regards

(NASIR)
Lahore - Pakistan.