Ethernet interface shuts down

Hi All,

I have three Linux boxes running RH7.2 and each one of
these has two 3com Ethernet NICs.  I am trying to do
some routing stuff with these.

Ethernet interfaces on these boxes shut down by its
own if I do not pass the packet through them for a
while. I am not able to understand why is it
happening.

One more thing when I use “ip addr show” it shows that
interface is there , but ifconfig doesn’t. I guess
that is because ifconfig shows only the interfaces
that are up.

Any help on this will be really appreciable .

Thanks in advance,
Nitin