any info on adding function into GUI of nautilus in GNOME

Hi,

I installed red hat Linux 7.2 and want to add some
function into GUI of nautilus in GNOME.
What I want to do is to add an option into
"preference" seletion in
the top menu bar of nautilus. Now I have obtained
nautilus-1.0.4-43.src.rpm.

My question is

1) How can I extract and view source code file from
rpm file?

2)Should I build rpm without need of compiling codes
after codes are modified?
or I have to install gcc to compile the codes after
they are modified?

Can anybody give me some general idea on the whole
procedure?(including tools for
compiling, debugging...)

 Thanks in advance.

Lisa Lee