Re: chkconfig ate my symlinks :-)

On Wed, 2002-05-08 at 19:56, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Florin Andrei (florin@sgi.com) said:
> > Arghhh!... I just installed a 7.3 system and played a little bit with
> > chkconfig, using the old "chkconfig --del service" syntax. :-(
>
> chkconfig --del has *always* removed symlinks, barring bugs...

Ok, my fault, i didn't explained it correctly.

The old chkconfig, when run with "chkconfig --del service" indeed
removed all symlinks, but the service continued to be manageable through
chkconfig. You could run "chkconfig --list" and still see the service in
the list.

With the new chkconfig, --del removes all symlinks (like the old one)
but, what changed is the service is removed from the services list
provided by chkconfig!
If you want something which is more like the old behaviour, you have to
run "chkconfig service off", which only removes the S**service symlinks,
but leaves the K**service symlinks in place. The service is disabled,
but it also remains in the list provided by chkconfig.

So, with the new version, it's better to manage services with "chkconfig
service on|off", like on SGI Irix.

I do believe the new behaviour is more logical but, heh, if you're lazy
like i am and don't read documentation... ;-)

--
Florin Andrei

There's nothing to be ashamed of in coming up with the obvious,
especially when nobody else is coming up with it.