Re: A Red Hat user's introduction to Debian

> From: Riku Meskanen <mesrik@cc.jyu.fi>
> To: redhat-devel-list@redhat.com
> Subject: Re: A Red Hat user's introduction to Debian
>
> > > But now you find that the macho Unixers will win that their little
> > > brains are unable to decypzer the scripts who configure the network
> > > in RedHat or Mandrake and that is why they want a bare bones distro.
> >
> > I used UNIX and administered UNIX systems for many years. I hope you
> > will not interpret this message as a win (whine?).
> >
> Same here. This is rather long, sorry about that.
>
> > I think that it is really cool, spiffy, neato that RH 7.2 installs and
> > pretty much just works. For the last three installs of 7.2 I did, I
> > *needed* to make only a couple of little tweaks to get basic
> > functionality going. This is a good thing.
> >
> I strongly agree :)
>
> Poor installation and administration utilities are waste
> of admin/company/BOFH resources nowadays. I've heard similar
> macho bullshit Jean was referring and some seem to think
> holding back some people being able to run/admin unices would
> make better job security for admins and consultants, that's crap!
>
> Those guys really
>
>   a) don't understand that larger user base will make more job
>      opportunities, good admins are needed always when you have
>      enough sites using the system.
>
>   b) companies and other organizations can't afford investing
>      long term in technology that is difficult to administer and
>      only in hands of few
>
>   c) haven't been around long enough consulting and admin business
>      that have already figured that how boring it is to fix things
>      over and over again that should have been job of the distribution
>      maker or vendor out of the box.... or haven't at least met any
>      consultant that would not consider that more suitable for
>      a chimp than ecudated human being

Riku,

thanks for FINALLY bringing an intelligent dialogue back to this forum
following those insulting, uninformed, off-topic posts about how those of
us in the U.S. make more money, etc, etc, etc... (I'm just back from a
trip and was wondering when all those off-topic posts would end!)

I have only a small addition to make to this thread: I suggest that the
_reason_ we have so often seen poor installation and configuration
procedures and tools is primarily because the "best and brightest" don't
think that installation and configuration issues - scripts and config
files, as examples - are worthy of their time. Consequently, these
components are most often written by people who don't have the long
experience to know what a well written installation should be like. And,
management is usually ignorant of the importance of this too.

Businesses take note: The FIRST thing your customer sees is the
installation process for your product. Remember; You never get a second
chance to make a (good) first impression.

Regards,
Richard

--

Richard Troy