Re: next release

 --- Paul Dorneanu <spooky@webvolution.ro> wrote:
> I am wondering what Redhat is doing with the alpha
> release. The last
> release for an alpha is the 7.1. Would be great to
> see a release in the
> coming future for the alpha platform, after the
> release of 7.3. I am
I once was looking forward to seeing the Alpha
architecture taking off - imagine, a desktop PC with
the kind of stellar MHz (GHz) rating as the P4 but
that actually do useful things.

Unfortunately the architecture is now as much as dead.
Blame Compaq for that :(. The slide has been evident
for some time, really - when Pentium was released (66
MHz) the Alpha was going 2.5x faster (150 MHz) by
clock speed alone (probably more than 6 times faster
in FPU), by 1999/2000 they have been overtaken in pure
clockspeed terms.

Probably we cannot expect a full-blown commercial
release for Alpha then. Would be nice if Red Hat
maintains an installable tree for Alpha, though, sans
official support.

In any case, there's always distributions like Debian
if you need to keep an esoteric architecture
relatively up-to-date (not that Alpha is esoteric as
yet)
> from 8.0 we should
> expect a buggy release with new technologies
> inside... who knows, maybe
> support for the 2.5.x kernel.
> Curently, a 5.2 on an alpha is doing a great job,
> but it's very old.
You can actually run a 2.5.x kernel even on Red Hat
7.2 - not too sure about 7.1 . As yet it does not
require any new compiler/library not available on
recent distribution releases.

I expect Red Hat to announce one of its future
versions (8.1?) kernel 2.6 ready, though. Hopefully
2.6 will be in the horizon by that time (this time
next year, that is). I do remember predictions that
2.4 will take no longer than 6 months :p

Regards,

Michel

http://uk.my.yahoo.com