Locale config (Re: Pricing discrepancy (Re: next release))

On Tue, 2002-04-30 at 21:00, John Summerfield wrote:
> Standard English is indistinguishable from what you might term Standard
> Australian. Even my spoken English is often taken (by the English) as English
> with an English accent, and I've never been outside Australia.

Impressive :) Not being a native English speaker, I do sometimes
struggle to comprehend what some Australian characters in movies are
saying. Then again, they tend to portray stereotypes, and some regional
English accents are almost unmanagable too... (hi all Mancunians out
there :p)

> The Language isn't so much a problem, but I do get fed up telling my computer we
> use A4 paper. Once I tell it I live in Perth, WA then it should KNOW I use A4
> paper, measure lengths in metres, write dates dd/mm/yy and so on.
>
> And that my first choice of dictionary is Australian English and if that's not
> available then UK English is fine.

Hmm yes, that should not be too hard, at least on 'standardised'
desktops like KDE and GNOME. Perhaps we should nag both development
teams as well as freedesktop.org and linuxbase.org :)

Dammit, even set to UK English Evolution still highlights standardised
as an error. Here's hoping for GNOME2/GConf2 and instantly applied
setting changes :)

Oh, and don't most Australians live on the East Coast?
Regards,

--
Michel Alexandre Salim
GPG public key at http://salimma.freeshell.org