Linux 7.1, Raid and System Calls

Hi,

If this is in the wrong place, could somebody please tell where I should
go to ! We have a problem here which initially looked like a mysql
problem. When trying to add an index to a table or rename a table the
following error kept occuring:

mysql> alter table test rename as tst;
ERROR 7: Error on rename of './testdb/test.MYI' to './testdb/tst.MYI'
(Errcode: 2) mysql> quit

I tried this on two machines, both running Redhat 7.1 and MYSQL
3.23.46-log. It worked on one but not on the other. The one it failed on
is a compaq DL 380 with hardware Raid 5. The one it worked on is my own
intel PC. I started ploughing through the MYSQL source code and narrowed
it down to a problem with either the rename, link or stat system calls.

I wrote my own small program to call the rename system call. When using
it to rename a file on my intel linux system it works exactly as expected.
On the compaq however the exact same program always fails with errno 2
(ENOENT: A  directory component in oldpath  or  newpath does not exist or
is a dangling symbolic link). This is not due to permissions or incorrect
paths. The guts of my noddy program is:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <errno.h>

main(int argc, char **argv)
{
  char *arg1, *arg2;
  int err=0;
  arg1 = argv[1];
  arg2 = argv[2];

  printf("\nFile1: %s, File2 %s\n",arg1, arg2);

  err = rename(arg1, arg2);
  printf("Rename rc %d, error code %d \n\n", err, errno);

  return;

}

I can only conclude that the standard rename system call (and presumably
others) does not work on my Compaq raid system. MYSQL uses similar calls
and also does not work.
Now for the questions. Does anybody have any idea why other s/w such as
Apache works on this system ? It surely must use these calls... Is thre a
simple workaround ? Is there a way of telling linux to map system calls so
that these will work on Raid ? Why does the 'mv' command work on the
compaq system, what system call does it use ? Has this problem actually
got something to do with the Raid system like I have assumed ?

Answers or pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks Paul.