Problem: SCSI assigns same host number to two adapters

We are writing a low level SCSI driver to manage multiple virtual adapters.

On my Red Hat 7.1 system when the driver is loaded, SCSI mid-layer calls our
detect function and the number of adapters found is returned.  SCSI then
begins to query each adapter.

The problem is that sometimes different adapters are assigned the same host
number. (ie. Two adapters (2 and 3) both called host number 2; Six adapters
(should appear as 2 3 4 5 6 7) are reported as hosts 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5).

It would appear that a lock is needed somewhere.  Is it the our driver?  Does
anyone know of a kernel fix?  I am running a single processor machine.

Please help

Thanks,
Ted

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.amexmail.com/?A=1