Battery/Power API ????

Howdy, I'm looking to develop a battery monitor/power configure app for my
laptop and was wondering if anybody knew of a knowledge repository where I
could get some info. ie. I'm looking a list of kernel API functions that
will allow me to access this information.

Thanks in advance,

  Damian Del Campo,  B.Eng (Comp Sys - Hons)
  Software Engineer,  SAGRN Project
  Phone  	08 8401 7037	(Flinders St)
  Fax      	08 8231 1385
  E-mail  	Damian.DelCampo@team.telstra.com