file placement question (FHS?)

> Hello list.
> I made a package of an anti-virus program but I can't decide where
> to place its virus definitions database files. It doesn't have its own
> directory structure, so I have to place all files manually.
> The virus db files are 'shareable', so according to FHS they should be in
> /usr/share/<name>. But they are checked and, if necessary, updated on
> a daily basis, so this qualifies as 'frequently modified' and should go
> into /var.
> For now I placed them in /usr/share/<name>, but I'm still not sure.
> Any insight is welcome.

According to something I saw recently, /usr/share is for material
sharable between architectures.

Putting that stuff anywhere in /usr will be a pain if you want to share
/usr between systems. Put it in /var, if you want to share it do so
with NFS.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield

Microsoft's most solid OS: http://www.geocities.com/rcwoolley/

Note: mail delivered to me is deemed to be intended for me, for my
disposition.

If you don't like being told you're wrong,
	be right!