Intermittent FTP cnxn problem

I have a Microsoft PC which uses FTP Explorer to connect
with another Linux PC.  I've been able to do an FTP connect
with no problems for many months.  But now when I try to connect
to the Linux PC, 9 out of 10 times FTP Explorore can't connect
And if it does connect, the connection is closed after several minutes.

I might try connecting for 10 minutes, give up, then try again 10 min
later, and then can make a cnxn.

Anybody have any idea what would cause this?  FTP daemon goin' crazy?

Thanks,

ShutEye Thinkin