Future of "python2" package/RPMs which require python 2

Trond Eivind Glomsrød [teg@redhat.com] wrote:

> Python 1.5.2 is what's being used in the distribution, python2 is
> there for people to play with/develop for the future with. Note that
> all support modules (database modules, newt, etc) only are shipped
for
> 1.5.2
>
> In the future, python 1.5.2 will be obsoleted and python will be
> updated to whatever is current/stable at the time.

Why not just admit anaconda (some most "custom" pieces) requires the
historic version and there're some problems with porting...

> When we do another major series, python will be upgraded. We
>couldn't
> upgrade for eg. 7.2 and the current beta as they are intended to
>stay
> binary compatible (including python modules) with python 1.5.2 as
> shipped in RHL 7. We don't want to break binary compatiblity within
> series.

It's non issue in the "outside" python world: > 2.1 modules are vastly
superior and in some cases required.

I just would like not to be forced to recomplie gnome-python packages
on every RH system I work on ;-).

Cheers,

--
Michal Kurowski