Re: [patch] reiser4: port for Linux-4.1

On 02/10/2016 05:04 AM, Ivan Shapovalov wrote:
On 2016-02-09 at 18:53 +0100, Edward Shishkin wrote:
Hi all,

There is a pending patch for precise discarsd, which I can not merge
because it is incomplete. Just want to know, is there any progress on
this?

So we found that calculating discard params by mkfs and storing
them in superblock is a dirty option, so I suggest to reserve a
contiguous area (1 MiB?) on disk at "mkfs -d" time (just mark it busy
in the bitmap). And calculate erase unit size and offset at mount
time.
If calculation failed for some reasons, then use non-precise discard.

So, I think, we'll need one d32 field in disk superblock, which
indicates
number of reserved blocks (0 means no reservation) and a pair of
definitions in disk_format40.h:

#define FORMAT40_FIRST_RESERVED_FOR_PROBING \
        ((REISER4_MASTER_OFFSET / PAGE_CACHE_SIZE) + 6)
#define FORMAT40_MAX_BLOCKS_RESERVED_FOR_PROBING

If any questions, or technical stoppers, then let me know.

Thanks,
Edward.

Hello Edward,

yes, finishing this is on top of my to-do list (but it is being
dequeued at a very slow rate due to the university...).

Ah, this is of highest priority, ofc.

I was under assumption of that we still want to go by path of probing
parameters at mkfs time + having a special utility for rewriting these

I am afraid that 99% of users will be unaware of that utility..

Thanks,
Edward.

fields. But if you are now ok with probing at mount time, then that's
great. I'll try to do something in nearest week or two.