Re: [patch] reiser4: port for Linux-4.1

On 2016-02-09 at 18:53 +0100, Edward Shishkin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There is a pending patch for precise discarsd, which I can not merge
> because it is incomplete. Just want to know, is there any progress on
> this?
>
> So we found that calculating discard params by mkfs and storing
> them in superblock is a dirty option, so I suggest to reserve a
> contiguous area (1 MiB?) on disk at "mkfs -d" time (just mark it busy
> in the bitmap). And calculate erase unit size and offset at mount
> time.
> If calculation failed for some reasons, then use non-precise discard.
>
> So, I think, we'll need one d32 field in disk superblock, which
> indicates
> number of reserved blocks (0 means no reservation) and a pair of
> definitions in disk_format40.h:
>
> #define FORMAT40_FIRST_RESERVED_FOR_PROBING \
>        ((REISER4_MASTER_OFFSET / PAGE_CACHE_SIZE) + 6)
> #define FORMAT40_MAX_BLOCKS_RESERVED_FOR_PROBING
>
> If any questions, or technical stoppers, then let me know.
>
> Thanks,
> Edward.

Hello Edward,

yes, finishing this is on top of my to-do list (but it is being
dequeued at a very slow rate due to the university...).

I was under assumption of that we still want to go by path of probing
parameters at mkfs time + having a special utility for rewriting these
fields. But if you are now ok with probing at mount time, then that's
great. I'll try to do something in nearest week or two.

--
Ivan Shapovalov / intelfx /