Re: Reiserfs 4

On a related note - I think formally verified R4 is great idea but you've got to be aware that as long as it's running on top of unverified Linux kernel we can only assure that some properties hold under the assumption that kernel actually does the right thing. Not sure how practically viable it is outside of general academic curiosity.

True enough. The SeL4 verification apparently took on the order of a few manyears, and we don't have that. I do think, however, there's likely to be value in incomplete efforts. I personally know that I've had bugs in my code that I've spent a couple of days trying to iron out, only to find that when I stop and write out hoare triples for each of the statements in the code I find the issue in about ten minutes.

We can start with a highly abstract model and gradually introduce more details while establishing that each more detailed model doesn't invalidate proofs made on more general ones. Having a proven yet highly abstract model to informally compare the actual source to would make debugging quite a bit easier, I think, and we could gradually build on it to reduce the semantic "distance" between the model and the kernel code.

--
DH