Re: reiser4: discard support

On Friday 02 May 2014 at 16:07:21, Edward Shishkin wrote:
> On 05/02/2014 03:36 PM, Ivan Shapovalov wrote:

> >> Why "2*" ?
> >> I suppose they are filled in parallel...
> >> Total complexity (when everything is serialized) is not interesting ;)
> >
> > Oh why? Everything is still serialized by the physical CPU, for that
> > matter. So less complexity -> less CPU time...
>
> We can perfectly populate different "discard trees" in parallel on
> different CPUs.
> As to sorting the list: I don't know how to perform it in parallel :)
> Default assumptions, that everything is serialized, usually lead to various
> bad-scalable solutions...

Ah, now I understand what do you mean. If that's about doing less work under
the tmgr mutex, then yes, trees are better than lists.

BTW, I've seen that reiser4 releases atom lock before allocating another node
for a blocknr_set, and that leads to a "do { } while (ret == -E_REPEAT)" loop
around the blocknr_set_add_extent() calls. Is this the preferred way of
attaching a dynamic data structure to an atom?

> >> "somebody modifying the bitmaps" will wait for commit_mutex.
> >> Have you found where the bitmaps are modified? This is
> >> pre_commit_hook_bitmap().
> >
> > Yes, but I was not sure this is the only place where the bitmaps are
> > touched...

> >> This is because the technical level of reiser4 is very high.
> >> Many very strong scientists contributed to reiser4.
> >>
> >> I also don't understand in details how some reiser4 subsystems work.
> >> Once I need details, I open the respective code and read it with the
> >> comments.
> >> The most important thing is general understanding of how it works.
> >> Nobody is able to grok this only by reading reiser4 code before
> >> sleeping. You need to implement at least one feature by your hands.
> >> Yes, it is not easy, and not for everyone. Like every high-level research
> >> in the science...
> >>
> >> Edward.
> >
> > ...and nobody to this point had written an explanation of that, or some
> > piece of documentation except the design document...
>
> what explanation do you mean?
>
> Edward.

A general explanation of how does it work :)

--
Ivan Shapovalov / intelfx /