Re: strange problem with reiser4 with ccreg40 on amd64 2.6.35.2 vanilla kernel + tuxonice + reiser4 on a mdadm imsm raid-0 partition

2010/8/27 K. Posern <quickhelp@xxxxxxxxx>:

> On 26/08/10 15:20, Jonáš Vidra wrote:
>
>> Could you, please, recompile both the kernel and reiser4progs
>> (and possibly their dependencies :D) with -O2 instead of -O3
>> in CFLAGS? It tends to break things in strange and nasty ways,
>> why do you have it enabled globally like this? Are you sure
>> it's actually needed?
>
> I had read around and found comments that it can actually make things faster
> and so I decided to give it a try.
> You said "break things in strange and nasty ways":
> Does this mean it can compile well and then just not WORK right (like for
> example: mkfs.reiser4 doing the wrong things when formatting)??
> I only heard that it can break the compilation, no? And for me everything
> compiled fine.

It could trigger compiler bugs and trigger unintended behavior due to
unsafe (but possibly intentional) constructs in the compiled source
code. I don't know of any case where it could fail the build, although
such cases may exist.

For an example of how compiler optimizations can break the generated
code (which is probably totally unrelated to your specific problem),
see:

<URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliasing_(computing)#Conflicts_with_optimization>

Nicolas