Re: strange problem with reiser4 with ccreg40 on amd64 2.6.35.2 vanilla kernel + tuxonice + reiser4 on a mdadm imsm raid-0 partition

Hi,

On 26/08/10 15:20, Jonáš Vidra wrote:
Could you, please, recompile both the kernel and reiser4progs
(and possibly their dependencies :D) with -O2 instead of -O3
in CFLAGS? It tends to break things in strange and nasty ways,
why do you have it enabled globally like this? Are you sure
it's actually needed?
I had read around and found comments that it can actually make things faster and so I decided to give it a try.
You said "break things in strange and nasty ways":
Does this mean it can compile well and then just not WORK right (like for example: mkfs.reiser4 doing the wrong things when formatting)?? I only heard that it can break the compilation, no? And for me everything compiled fine.

The difference between -O2 and -O3 are these 6 options:
>   -fgcse-after-reload         		[enabled]
>   -finline-functions          		[enabled]
>   -fipa-cp-clone              		[enabled]
>   -fpredictive-commoning      		[enabled]
>   -ftree-vectorize            		[enabled]
>   -funswitch-loops            		[enabled]

Can you maybe comment on them?

... Because I could also use O2 and turn on some of them...
I was told: -ftree-vectorize and -funswitch-loops should be good and maybe -fpredictive-commoning?!

Also, CCache is not used anymore, remove it from FEATURES.
If you actually _use_ CCache (i.e. you've installed it
manually), unmerge it immediately. It's broken by design.

Other stuff in your FEATURES looks fishy as well, but it
shouldn't affect builds. I hope you know what you're doing.
Thanks! I used your comment to review my features again :)
... and I disabled CCACHE.

If you don't mind: Now I am interested in your feedback about the other features:

These should be 100% secure, right:
buildsyspkg -- secure I guess ;) ... and I like it in case something f's up big-scale in portage and I start emerging ;) ... happened once to a friend of mine ... just try to use portage when python is broken ;)
	collision-protect -- useful I find
	parallel-fetch -- faster downloads who doen't want that
        metadata-transfer -- necessary for sqlite with portage (afaik)
	noauto -- convenient
	noinfo -- I just don't use "info"

SECURITY - Drop-Priviledges
--> should if things compile also be fine, right?
	userpriv usersandbox userfetch usersync

SECURITY - MISC:
--> These I like for some additional (security) checking:
(I guess about them and the File-Permissions I am the most interested in your opinion)
	sandbox - seems also useful to me, no?
	strict - seems like a good thing from the description

SECURITY - File-Permissions
<<< they might be scetchy, right?... but should not do /harm/
	sfperms
	suidctl

Thanks a lot!

Knuth