Re: reiser4 w. cryptcompress data-corruption (?!)

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 8:54 PM, Edward Shishkin
<edward.shishkin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
>  >> >pretty similar to the corruption with bitdefender-console,
>  >> >
>  >> >Edward:
>  >> >I hope you still have the mails were I described
>  >> >"corrupting"/triggering the error with ntfs-scanning before you fixed
>  >> >it?
>  >> >
>  >> >1.) boot into system with reiser4 as root partition
>  >> >2.) start up GUI (gnome, kde, whatever)
>  >> >3.) work with with it a little
>  >> >4.) mount ntfs-partition (it shouldn't matter if mounted with
>  >> >in-kernel ntfs-driver or ntfs3g) [the partition should ideally contain
>  >> >a windows-system with several gigabytes of data]
>  >> >5.) scan the partition with bdc --arc --files /mnt/win
>  >> >
>  >> >
>  >>
>  >> what is the bdc?
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>
>  >> >6.) filesystem corrupts,
>  >> >7.) result: nothing can be launched anymore, even bash is broken -
>  >> >just everything
>  >> >
>  >> >it was also the case this time:
>  >> >whenever I tried to launch epiphany, nautilus, gnome-terminal it
>  >> >wouldn't launch them
>  >> >--> the only thing still working was gnome-terminal
>  >> >after that I exited to the CLI & when I recognised it was similar to
>  >> >the previous corruption case (bitdefender-console)
>  >> >I immediately killed everything via magic sysrq key & rebooted without
>  >> >syncing to maintain my data intact (on /home)
>  >> >
>  >> >the behavior is pretty interesting:
>  >> >it seems to corrupt progressively in steps (such as with the
>  >> >bitdefender-console corruption)
>  >> >
>  >> >first almost all still works, bit by bit more and more programs won't
>  >> >work anymore
>  >> >
>  >> >Regards
>  >> >
>  >> >Mat
>  >> >
>  >> >
>  >> >
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>
>  >>
>  >
>  >sorry for not clearing that:
>  >
>  >[I] app-antivirus/bitdefender-console
>  >     Available versions:  -7.0.1-r1 -7.0.1-r1[1] (~)7.1 (~)7.1[1]
>  >     Installed versions:  7.1[1](22:37:31 06.01.2008)
>  >     Homepage:            http://www.bitdefender.com/
>  >
>  >[1] "portage" /usr/local/portage
>  >
>  >the name of the program's file is:
>  >' BitDefender-Console-Antivirus-7.1-3.linux-gcc3x.i386.run '

Hi Edward,

sure, I'm happy with the current state of reiser4 (for now),

it's on the root-partition on 2 computers, and several data partitions,
the only problems I had until now was with the root partition(s)
involved, so no "real" data corruption/loss, as there's always a
backup-tarball of my system
on an external hdd lying next to me ;)

I think I need to omit contact with those usage-cases as far as
possible (ntfs & bitdefender-console) then it'll be fine

> If you don't object, then I'll put it to longterm todo ;)

no, of course not, just go ahead, there are more important "cases"
than mine waiting to get taken care of :)
*crossing fingers* that reiser4' problems will be sorted out as fast
as possible

Good luck &
thanks a lot again,

Mat