Re: reiser4 w. cryptcompress data-corruption (?!)

Matthew wrote:

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Dushan Tcholich <dusanc@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi

I had a same scary experience of reiser4 repairing thousands of errors on
cryptocompressed partition, but it was false alarm as Edward said:

Me:
> After fsck.reiser4 --check I had to do a fsck.reiser4 --build-fs,
> which lasted ~55min. It fixed 1 error on the start and for next 50 min
> fixed wrong bytes errors in every node, like in the second picture.

Edward:
Ignore reports about wrong bytes.
This is because cryptcompress plugin doesn't keep a track about bytes,
and fsck calculates and insert correct value. Keeping a track of bytes
by kernel leads to performance drop (even worse then with atime), so
we decided to not support it.

Were those thousands of errors in step 6. of your mail wrong byte errors?

Dushan

Hi, Dushan,

no, those actually were (real) data corruption errors,
as I wrote (I didn't made it that clear) I impatiently interrupted
fsck.reiser4, reformatted the partition and extracted the tarball with
the system

I just woke up & thinking over it now: the corruption behavior was
pretty similar to the corruption with bitdefender-console,

Edward:
I hope you still have the mails were I described
"corrupting"/triggering the error with ntfs-scanning before you fixed
it?

1.) boot into system with reiser4 as root partition
2.) start up GUI (gnome, kde, whatever)
3.) work with with it a little
4.) mount ntfs-partition (it shouldn't matter if mounted with
in-kernel ntfs-driver or ntfs3g) [the partition should ideally contain
a windows-system with several gigabytes of data]
5.) scan the partition with bdc --arc --files /mnt/win

what is the bdc?

6.) filesystem corrupts,
7.) result: nothing can be launched anymore, even bash is broken -
just everything

it was also the case this time:
whenever I tried to launch epiphany, nautilus, gnome-terminal it
wouldn't launch them
--> the only thing still working was gnome-terminal
after that I exited to the CLI & when I recognised it was similar to
the previous corruption case (bitdefender-console)
I immediately killed everything via magic sysrq key & rebooted without
syncing to maintain my data intact (on /home)

the behavior is pretty interesting:
it seems to corrupt progressively in steps (such as with the
bitdefender-console corruption)

first almost all still works, bit by bit more and more programs won't
work anymore

Regards

Mat

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe reiserfs-devel" in