Re: Question about memory pressure freezes

2007/7/29, Edward Shishkin <edward@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Xu CanHao wrote:
>
> >Hello!
> >
> >    Since the default atom_max_size is RAM/4, that means 256MB of
> >maximum atom in your computer, and your HDD does 30MB/s which means
> >you'll have 8s-9s "flush/system freeze" time.
> >
> >    IIRC, edward said the atom_max_size mount option is useless,
> >

> It is  useless for remount, in other cases it works fine
> (for root file system it makes sense to edit fstab).
> So you can pass the option "tmgr.atom_max_size=N",
> where N  is atom size in blocks

IIRC months ago I asked you about something that when I pass the
option "tmgr.atom_max_size=N" to /etc/fstab(root partition) and
/proc/mounts still shows the original RAM/4 value, you said it's
mysteries and a long-term object.

But the option worked with newly mounted partition such as "#mount
.... -o tmgr.atom_max_size=N"

> > so
> >I'd suggest you modify your reiser4/init_super.c and change:
> >       sbinfo->tmgr.atom_max_size = totalram_pages / 4;
> >       sbinfo->tmgr.atom_max_size = totalram_pages / 16;
> >which means your atom would have a maximum size of 64MB and a maximum
> >freeze time of only 2 seconds.
> >

> Such nice linear dependency disappears with some workload,
> so freeze time is not comforting also for small atoms..

Then maybe a value of RAM/128 or 256 or 512... small enough to make
the freeze time short enough...  ;)