Re: Question about memory pressure freezes

Xu CanHao wrote:

Hello!

   Since the default atom_max_size is RAM/4, that means 256MB of
maximum atom in your computer, and your HDD does 30MB/s which means
you'll have 8s-9s "flush/system freeze" time.

   IIRC, edward said the atom_max_size mount option is useless,

It is  useless for remount, in other cases it works fine
(for root file system it makes sense to edit fstab).
So you can pass the option "tmgr.atom_max_size=N",
where N  is atom size in blocks

so
I'd suggest you modify your reiser4/init_super.c and change:
      sbinfo->tmgr.atom_max_size = totalram_pages / 4;
      sbinfo->tmgr.atom_max_size = totalram_pages / 16;
which means your atom would have a maximum size of 64MB and a maximum
freeze time of only 2 seconds.

Such nice linear dependency disappears with some workload,
so freeze time is not comforting also for small atoms..

Thanks!