Re: X settings

On 02/11/10 05:08 AM, Ben wrote:
On Tue, 2 Nov 2010, Phil Savoie wrote:

Question on X. I had inadvertently removed my xorg.conf file under
/etc/X11 and rebooted the machine. To my surprise, X started without a
problem. So, I was wondering if there was some other place where X
settings were stored.

No. However, if X cannot find an xorg.conf file it will attempt to probe
the graphics hardware (chipset and monitor DDC) and make a best guest at
an optimal setup. I've had a couple of machines in the past which didn't
actually have xorg.conf files (mainly through laziness). If you have an
esoteric monitor or newer chipset it's usually a bit harder for X to
figure out what'll work best and it will probably default to the vesa
driver and 800x600 or something similar.

If you want X to generate one for you, one way is to go into
system-config-display make a change and then let it save you an xorg.conf.

Ben

Thanks Ben. The machine is an optiplex gx210L which when I installed the first time the video was all black with no signal to the monitor. Turned out, that X chose the intel driver which doesn't work and after much looking found out that the i810 driver works best or vesa if in a pinch which I had to manually put in by booting into single-user mode and manually changing the xorg.conf.

Having said that, if the xorg.conf went missing, why did it choose a video config that works and not the intel driver that it chose on install? I would have thought that it would have erroneously chose the intel driver as it did on initial install.

This kind of doesn't make sense to me.

Phil