Re: X settings

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010, Phil Savoie wrote:

Question on X. I had inadvertently removed my xorg.conf file under /etc/X11 and rebooted the machine. To my surprise, X started without a problem. So, I was wondering if there was some other place where X settings were stored.

No. However, if X cannot find an xorg.conf file it will attempt to probe the graphics hardware (chipset and monitor DDC) and make a best guest at an optimal setup. I've had a couple of machines in the past which didn't actually have xorg.conf files (mainly through laziness). If you have an esoteric monitor or newer chipset it's usually a bit harder for X to figure out what'll work best and it will probably default to the vesa driver and 800x600 or something similar.

If you want X to generate one for you, one way is to go into system-config-display make a change and then let it save you an xorg.conf.

Ben
        Life Is Short.          It's All Good.