Re: Can someone please SHOUT at Redhat for me?

I saw this first some months ago, it did leave an rpmsave, but this was the standard file too. I keep an hourly backup of all my config files so it's not to bad to fix. Really it's just annoying, for some years I have been running unattended patching and now I have to do it properly in case RH muck it up!! Thats what I do with other nonoperating systems!

Neil.

George Magklaras wrote:
:-)

It happens, but it should leave an .rpmsave file. Which is why we have a cronjob looking for these "constructive changes" about every hour, see an md5sum (aka tripwire) and if necessary replacing with the .rpmsave file (or other original file) restarting the service. For production systems, I would do that for sshd/ssh , samba , named, dhcpd and httpd. It could take you an hour to implement and save you hours of raised blood pressure.

Alternatively, you apply the updates so that they happen at certain intervals/few systems, so you are there and know what to expect. This is also a valid approach if you have a spare old box and use xen or vmware to replicate the production system config. You apply the updates there first, see what breaks and know what to expect.

GM

--
Neil Marjoram
Systems Manager