Growing a LVM filesystem

I am trying to figure out how to grow the filesystem on a logical volume I am using ext3,the redhat documentation says:

  To grow a file system on a logical volume, perform the following steps:

   1.  Make a new physical volume.
2. Extend the volume group that contains the logical volume with the file system you are growing to include the new physical volume.
   3.  Extend the logical volume to include the new physical volume.
   4.  Grow the file system.

My question is this how do i grow the filesystem? Parted apparently cant handle it (I tried it by specifing parted /dev/VG_01/LV_01 )and it told me filesystem has an incompatible feature enabled. I dont know of another tool that is a command line tool that is available to use.

Joey Prestia