Re: help on src.rpm files

 Iam using centos 4.5 and i want to install opensslxxx.xx.src.rpm file

 how do i do it

 also there is no /usr/src/redhat directory

 do i have to create this directory n other directories under this

 basicallly how do i install .src.rpm files in centos 4.5

You will need to install (at a minimum) the rpm-build rpm (yum install rpm-build). You may also need gcc and some others as well, depending on what you are compiling.

It is recommended that you build packages as a non-priveleged user. I create a user on my systems that I use only for this purpose. The reason for this is that if there is an error in the spec file that deletes something that doesn't happen to mention the $RPM_BUILD_ROOT it would delete the file not within your package, but within your live running system.

To set up a build system like this, do the following.

Create a file in the home directory of the user you plan to use to build RPMs as called '.rpmmacros'. It should contain the %_topdir macro with the full path to the directory you plan to use us your rpm building root, which is equivalent to /usr/src/redhat. In my case, the contents of my .rpmmacros file is:
%_topdir    /home/rpmbuild/redhat

Then you need to create the directory structure to support RPM building. First, become the rpmbuild user, and create the 'redhat' directory in this user's home directory. Then, cd into that directory and run the following command to create the empty directory structures:

mkdir -p {SPECS,SOURCES,BUILD,SRPMS,RPMS/{i{3,4,5,6}86,noarch}}

If you are planning to build any perl modules, I also recommend using cpan2rpm (http://perl.arix.com/cpan2rpm/) which will package a perl module into an RPM for you. It also can create the RPM build environment for you by running 'cpan2rpm --mk-rpm-dirs'

Once your build environment is complete, as the rpmbuild user, you can either rebuild an existing SRPM with the command 'rpmbuild --rebuild package-name.src.rpm' or you can install the package with 'rpm -i package-name.src.rpm' and the edit the spec file, which will appear in the SPECS directory of your rpm RPM build environment and then when you are ready to build the package you can build it with 'rpmbuild -bb /path/to/spec/file'.

Hope this helps,

Barry