Re: RHEL4U5 and NIC flipping

clockwork@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Yes but if your changing the mac and the device then its not static, its
changing. I need eth0 to always be on the same port (port0) (vlan taggging,
security reasons etc) so when I update/install and port0 is now being
detected as eth1, my network is screwed. I need a way to say  port0 == eth0
no matter what order they are detected in.

HWADDR does not set the MAC address. If it is present then ifup-eth will rename the interface to what ever you designate if the MAC address for the interfaces matches HWADDR. AFAIK, this has been true since about RH9

ifrename does it, but it requires stopping a bunch of stuff, running it and
then restarting a bunch of stuff. Adding the command into the
/etc/rc.sysinit file doesn't work (the interfaces appear to be already
initialized).

Adding the MACADDR option is supposed to set the mac from what I can tell,
but that isnt the case on rhel 5 on my e1000 nic.

On 5/3/07, Stephen Carville <stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

clockwork@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I know at a minimum Dell, IBM and HP have the issue. I would expect its
> actually a broadcom and/or intel nic (driver ?) issue. I have used
ifrename
> in the past to accomplish this, but it seems with rhel5 ifrename doesnt
> work
> on boot. Is there a way to static-map a MAC to a particular interface in
> rhel ?

I have a similar problem on the Dell 2950.  I add the HWADDR and change
the DEVICE in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth1
BOOTPROTO=static
HWADDR=00:13:72:65:DB:29
IPADDR=10.207.52.220
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

> Regards.
>
> On 5/3/07, McDougall, Marshall (FSH) <Marshall.McDougall@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>> I am in the midst of building several new servers using RHEL4U4. I had
>> not yet released them to production use and saw that U5 was available.
>> I thought what better time to do it than right now when I have the
>> ability to deal with anything untoward.
>>
>> Well, the untoward comes in the form of the nics getting
flipped.  After
>> the update, I rebooted the machines and none of them came back online.
>> I had to make all of the eth0's eth1's and vice versa.  This has
>> occurred on HP and Dell servers.  Has anyone else seen this?  Just
>> curious.
>>
>> Regards, Marshall
>>
>> --

Stephen Carville <stephen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>