Re: RedHat 9 upgrade

Hi Jeremy,
Thanks - sounds as if I should go for CentOS 4 then.

Andy

On Thu, 2006-12-21 at 22:46, Gaddis, Jeremy L. wrote:
On 21 Dec 2006 18:43:51 +0000, Andy Allen <andy.allen@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for the tip - I've looked at Centos and it looks brilliant. Only trouble is, I'm not sure which version to go for - CentOS 2, 3 or 4, as I'm still not totally familiar with all the intricacies of Linux. RedHat
9 was pretty easy to install and set up, so can I cope with CentOS?

I think you'll be happy with CentOS.  A customer of mine had a number
of RH9 boxes that we moved to CentOS after Red Hat EOL'd RH9.

I don't track CentOS, so I don't know what version it's on, but you'll
want to go with the latest release.

-j

--
Jeremy L. Gaddis, MCP, GCWN
http://www.linuxwiz.net/

CentOS 3.X is essentially a supported version of RH9. Based originally on a stable version of RH9, and updated since.

CentOS 4.X has a 2.6 based kernel, and originally based on one of the Fedora Core releases.

4 should run most programs for RH9, and has newer versions of provided packages.

The Fedora Core versions are more bleeding edge, with much shorter support lifetimes. If you have stuck with RH9 all these years, you will probably be happier with a RHEL based system.