Re: slocate doesn't

On Apr 15, 2006, at 9:10 AM, Dag Wieers wrote:

Even on production servers you don't want to have it running. We seldom
touch those anyway once in production.

Just curious as to why. I'm a diversity sort of guy. I don't like the single point of failure idea of all the servers being exactly the same brand, disk topology, processor, and OS. Some things you can't get around, but for the most part keeping diversity helps when something goes seriously wrong.

With that in mind, when I'm looking for my httpd.conf file, it might be in /etc/httpd/ or /etc/httpd/conf/ or even in /usr/local/etc/ httpd/ among others. I know the file I'm looking for, but on different systems it can be in slightly different locations. For this purpose, I like to have slocate running. It's not that much of a drain on the system at all.

-Michael

PS This isn't intended as a flame at all. I'm honestly curious. I enjoy understanding the other side of any argument as it can help to strengthen or convert. =-)