Re: terminal server recommendation?

On Apr 18, 2005, at 11:37 AM, Noah wrote:
On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:03:25 -0500, Pettit, Paul wrote
Noah wrote:

well I am needing some more remote control to my machines at my colo
facility.  can you possibly recommend a really nice terminal server?

If your only looking to have remote control the best thing to do is to simply use SSH and have an account on the target server(s) with the needed rights (or just 'su -' to root after you are connected) to do what you need to do. Once in it's like you are at a terminal.

actually I am looking for a hardware device. this is not a software solution.
I am wanting to be on the console port when I am upgrading kernels. also want
a spot to dialin to to look at the console port in case my machines are
unreachable.

Although they are not cheap, I rather like the Cyclades TS family of terminal
servers. They are actually Linux-based, and can be remotely managed via
either web management or via linux command line operations via either telnet
or ssh remote login (as "root").

In truth, I hardly ever had to do anything to the several Cyclades terminal
servers I managed at a previous job, other than to occasionally log in to
force-drop a line to free it up.

Not sure what you might be able to do for a dial-in solution, but if you can
get on an Internet connection (VPN or otherwise), the Cyclades solution is
a very nice one:

  http://www.cyclades.com/products/2/ts_series

Ken Rossman rossman@xxxxxxxxxxxx