RE: Blackhole

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:01:13 +0100, Chris Kenward wrote
> Hi Mike
>
> > Do you have chkrootkit 0.45 installed and have you run it lately
> > just as a backup check of things?
>
> Nope - I downloaded it for the first time today. Also had a look at
> 'rkhunter' which looks very impressive. Warned me that SSH allowed root
> access too! ;) Now I'm trying to figure out how to change that. Had
> a look in the SSH_Config file but not apparently in there.
>
> Strange - some of the packages also come up as have different MD5 algorythms
> than expected and that's sorta thrown me as well. I mean this is a cuppla
> week old install of Redhat.... Unless the hacker has changed something...

PermitRootLogin no

man sshd_config

     PermitRootLogin
             Specifies whether root can login using ssh(1).  The argument must
             be ``yes'', ``without-password'', ``forced-commands-only'' or
             ``no''.  The default is ``yes''.

             If this option is set to ``without-password'' password authenti-
             cation is disabled for root.

             If this option is set to ``forced-commands-only'' root login with
             public key authentication will be allowed, but only if the
             command option has been specified (which may be useful for taking
             remote backups even if root login is normally not allowed). All
             other authentication methods are disabled for root.

             If this option is set to ``no'' root is not allowed to login.