Re: nfsd/portmapper and iptables on Linux 4

Ben,

No problem. O'Reilly makes a cheap pocket reference for iptables called "Linux iptables Pocket reference" which can be had from bookstores for about $10, or bookpool.com for around $6. It's fairly good at explaining the syntax and getting you up to speed with creating rules.

I still prefer the ipfw rule format in FreeBSD to the iptables in Linux, but you have to use what you've got. The random port assignments throw a lot of people for a loop, and usually the offenders are only RPC based services. The nfs random ports drove me nuts for quite a awhile, and I never found a solution to it until I just 'tried' putting the services in /etc/services.

In any case, I'm just glad I could be of some help.

--James Cooley

Ben Ransom wrote:

Thanks again James. This works, but of course I feel I must be missing something wrt how to deal with random port assignment and iptables. So far I've gotten away with very only understanding of iptables syntax and rule making ...will read up and hope to get back to random ports eventually.
-Ben