RE: SAMBA and XP

At 01:25 AM 2/23/2005, Adam Koch wrote:

Well, this problem occured for more than a year ago, and on the site http://www.samba.netfirms.com/PDC.htm I found this sentence and stopped trying to configure:

"As for Windows XP, one piece of advice.....if you have bought Windows XP
home edition, it will not support domain logons. You will need to upgrade to
the Pro version."

[snip]

So when you say that this problem is solvable I have just been mislead.

Looking further down, I must be honest in saying don't even know what a domain is. I use Samba to access shares from network 'nix boxes from Windows boxes /only/.

Or has there been som upgrades on xp-home-edition in the meantime?

I've just reinstalled XP home sp 1 on a workstation here and can see the 'nix Samba shares "out of the box" i.e. w/o any configuring other than joining the workgroup I set up for the entire network (3 windoz + 3 nix boxes).

Marty

Marty Landman, Face 2 Interface Inc. 845-679-9387 Search & Sort Easily: http://face2interface.com/Products/FormATable.shtml Web Installed Formmail: http://face2interface.com/formINSTal