Re: Program to test computer

At 04:23 PM 2/9/2005, you wrote:
On Wednesday 09 February 2005 16:44, Steve Buehler wrote:
> I have a RHEL ES 3 server that seems to be having some problems that might
> be hardware.

What kind of problem ?

> I have taken it offline so that I can run some test on
> it.  Does anybody know of a script/program that might work to put a load on
> the server for an extended period of time.  Better yet, does anybody know
> of a program...hopefully free, that can run the tests on the hardware of
> the machine and give me a report?

memtest86 will test your memory. Random crashes usually caused by faulty
memory.
http://www.memtest86.com/

If you suspect motherboard or processor you can put it under load for a while.
mprime torture test is good for that. Run for a day or two (read the readme
file):
http://mersenne.org/

Thank You. I couldn't get the mersenne.org program to run on my RHEL ES 3 though. From what I read, it won't run on that right now and I really didn't want to have to reformat the system....yet. Thanks for the memtest though. It had been so long since I had to do any of these tests that I forgot which ones to use for what. I am in the process of moving and most of my programs are packed up so I didn't have them to look through.

Thanks
Steve