Can not use eth0 on new Dell 4700

Loaded Red Hat 7.3 on a new Dell 4700. It could not find the onboard NIC. Downloaded and compiled new Intel e100 driver. Found eth0. ethtools says it is up at 100 Mb/s half duplex. Can't ping! The box was shipped from Dell with XP installed. Tested the ethernet port using XP and it worked. With linux, when the RJ45 cable is plugged in, the cable connect light is lite. The activity light is not. When I ping the sub-net, the activity light blinks. So, it acts like I am trying to send, but I am not receiving. I can plug a Dell 4600 into the same port and all is well. Both the 4600 and the 4700 use Intel's 82562 chip. The 4600 is an ET rev, the other is an EZ rev. According to the Intel product page, the only difference is the foot print of the chip: SOIC vs. BGA. Tcpdump shows no activity. It acts like I need some other driver to enable the motherboard's interface to eth0. I have plugged a PCI nic card in and can use it as eth1. However, I need the two PCI slots for other - not installed yet - hardware!

kernel is 2.4.20
also tried 2.4.28

 Thanks,
 Greg