unset global editor symlink

Greetings - When I first installed RH I had vi as the default editor . I then installed other editors and somehow vim got symlinked to vi.

I dont mind using vim over vi, I just would like to be able to change it if needed.

which vi
alias vi='vim'
   /usr/bin/vim

vi actually resides in /bin/vi and If I call with the full path vim still gets called

which vim
/usr/bin/vim

I dont know where this alias is set. Ive tried to reset it in my .profile alias vi='/bin/vi'
This still calls vim

This seems to be set as a global alias or symlink. I want to define MY editor! ;-)

?
TIA
bob

--
"Oracle error messages being what they are, do not
highlight the correct cause of fault, but will identify