Re: RHEL 2.1 compatability question.

Radke, Theresa A wrote:

I've run into the RHEL nightmare and dell systems just recently and have
come up with the following:

1. If you modify that operating system in any way then you invalidate
your service agreement.
2. That operating system has been customized to run the hardware in
your dell, try installing over it and you'll get errors.
3. you can't find the correct versions of anything to install,
including oracle grid version.

This system is going to be my primary computing environment server, and no one will log into it. It won't run anything esoteric. I should think that I could at least download and compile my own versions of things, to provide services such as dhcp, dns, samba shares, mail, etc., yes? Heck, I could just install FreeBSD 5.3, or Debian, if I wanted to, yes? I don't particularly care what Dell thinks of my choice of OS, as they don't provide support for what came with it anyway, with the support level I ordered - just hardware support. I just want a stable OS, that's easy for me to keep up to date, to give me a solid foundation to our computing environment here. We're a small shop (~25 people) and I inherited a computing environment that's a tad flaky, so I'm rebuilding all the basic services on this new machine.

   -ste