Re: Spam and Anti-Virus

On Jun 30, 2004, at 4:58 PM, Chris Purcell wrote:

We're currently running our mail gateway on a Windows server running GFI
Mail Security and GFI Mail Essentials. We desperately want to move our
gateway to a Linux server. What spam and anti-virus software would you
all recommend for a mail gateway? It can be open source or commercial,
we're willing to pay for a high quality product. We have about 500 users
and currently get about 100,000 pieces of spam per month. The spam
software must do bayesian filtering and it would be nice if each user
could train its own mail and release any quarantined spam without the help
of an administrator.

I've built a number of high-end mailservers using a combination of the following. So far, they've all worked beautifully. The bayesian "learning" occurs on the server, and all mails are tagged with X-Spam-Level headers for client filtering. This wouldn't stop you from adding client-side bayesian clients (like spambayes' pop3proxy).

postfix/TLS
Cyrus SASL2
Courier-IMAP/POP w/authmysqlrc and TLS
MySQL virtual accounts
PostfixAdmin for account administration
Squirrelmail
Amavisd-new
SpamAssassin
Razor2
Clamav

SASL2 is for SMTP AUTH. I have it configured to use Courier's authdaemond setup for configuration, since authdaemond supports MD5'd passwords in MySQL. I also use a StarterSSL-signed certificate, since clients like Eudora have problems with OpenSSL self-signed certs. The initial setup can take anywhere from 4 hours to 48 hours, depending on your experience with these applications.

I'm going to be giving a talk on Secure Email Servers at next month's Columbia, MD LUG (http://www.calug.com). Anyone in the area is welcome to come, so long as the heckling is kept to a minimum. ;-) I'll post the document link to this list afterwards.

HTH.

--
Jason Dixon, RHCE
DixonGroup Consulting