Re: Asking for Video Card recommendation

At 10:06 5/20/2004, Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
I am building a linux (RHEL 3 based) workstation for scientific visualization.

I am not an expert on this, but at least some comments might help you. I suggest you first check the HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) and since you are going to be using RHEL you might also want to ask Red Hat. After all, if you get a good and supported card they will have a lot less work to do supporting you!

It appears to me (based on what little I know) that the three companies which most cleanly support Linux are (in an attempt at order):

1. Nvidia. Binary-only, closed-source, proprietary drivers but which work beautifully on nearly all distros. Come with their own installer, and generally have kernel modules and XFree drivers for most distros. If for some reason they don't have a module for yours, just have the kernel source installed (kernel-source RPM) and it will compile its own. The installer is also able to check for a newer driver and update itself. (Which is nice since you are going to have to recompile the driver if your kernel changes.) There is also a Free open driver with less functionality since it is a bitch to reverse-engineer video cards.

2. ATI. Some open-source drivers, some binary closed. Less support than Nvidia, but some like them better (especially for older cards) due to philosophical reasons since some of their drivers have been open-sourced. Careful which features and which cards are supported in Linux.

3. Matrox. Not open source, and I don't know which cards or which features are supported. I *do* know that they are an excellent company, and that several people on redhat-list and fedora-list are successfully using stuff from a Millennium II through a G450/G550 and up to a Parhelia 512. How, or with what ease/difficulty, I do not know.

Do check the websites of all three and see what you like. Let's also see what other responses you get. If I'm right, there should be at least one wrathful response from Rui loudly condemning the One Great Evil of closed-source drivers and telling you to stay the hell away from anyone who hasn't pledged his soul to the Open Source Gods. However, hopefully you'll also get several other, more useful and reasoned, responses. <grin>

Cheers,

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com