ldap authentication fallback to system authentication problem

Hi I have used the setup tool provded with redhat to use ldap for system
authentication. I can see that it correctly modified my /etc/pam* files
and authentication over ssh works against the ldap database. I have
allowed root to ssh in and that account does not exist in my ldap database
but I guess it falls back to /etc/passwd as specified in
/etc/nsswitch.conf

My problem is that when I shut ldap down the authentication fails
entirely, instead of just reading the /etc/passwd file.

Does anyone know what config options I must set in order to allow the
system to read the /etc/passwd file if ldap is down ?