Re: What is this "root=LABEL=/" stuff?

Now that you mention it, my partition was labeled "/" and didn't work either. Perhaps a change in fstab? Although mine says:

LABEL=/ / ext3 defaults 1 1

So my label matched my fstab, but still have to change to /dev/hda2 in grub's menu.lst.

Doug P

Steve wrote:
Does anyone know what kernel option allows the kernel to recognise partition labels ? I had recompiled a stock kernel earlier this week and had the exact same problem - after compile and reboot the kernel no longer recognised root=LABEL=/ as a valid option and I had to replace this with the physical root device in fstab and grub.conf

The drives are definatly labeled and all I can think of is that there must be an option somewhere in the kernel to tell it to recognise device labels. Anyone know if this is the case and how to re-enable it ?