Re: What is this "root=LABEL=/" stuff?

Thank you for the explanation guys! That really solved my problem. Open Source support is the greatest!

Doug P

Harry Hoffman wrote:
Hi Doug,

The LABEL is referring to a filesystem label introduced some time ago.
Essentially it allows you to label a disk parition. This is useful because once
labeled you don't need to refer to the partition by diskname[part#] (ie. hda5).

That way if you add more disks and the device names switch it won't screw you up.

man e2label

HTH,
Harry

Quoting Douglas Phillipson <dougp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

*> When compiling a stock kernel from kernel.org (on RH9), the process puts
*> root=LABEL=/ in my /boot/grub/menu.lst file. My machines never boot
*> with it there, I always have to change it to root=/dev/hda[x]. Could
*> someone please explain whats happening here? Am I doing something
*> wrong? Why do I always have to modify the menu.lst file when I build a
*> new kernel?
*> *> Thanks
*> *> Doug P
*> redhat-list mailing list
*> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx?subject=unsubscribe
*>

-- Douglas Phillipson Internet Consultant 702-295-8872 dougp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Stop worrying about Microsoft peeking into your computer's data.
Install GNU/Linux for a secure, highly stable Operating System.