Re: Mixing IDE and IDE-SCSI emulation on a Channel

Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:
Hi all,
I recently put in a CD-RW drive in my system, and make it the master drive on the secondary channel (hdc). The CD Rom drive that was already there becomes the slave hdd.
Following the CD-Writing-Howto, I finally figure out how to use cdrecord/xcdroast and that I have to use the CD-RW as a SCSI device using the ide-scsi emulation module (the Redhat doc in redhat site is horrible and not helping by the way).

You sure you jumpered the 2 drive correctly

But I still can't figure out how to play regular CD player, or rip a CD to mp3 using grip on that CD-RW drive, which acts as if it were a SCSI device. No problem, I thought, I just use the other CD-rom drive. However, when ripping a CD, I notice that the performance is kinda slower than usual. For example, lame would have to sit idle waiting for the ripping to complete, when usually the ripping of 1 CD would complete and lame would be behind like 75 % of completion.

You should be able to use the cdrom that is in scsi emulation. Are you attempting to use /dev/scd0?

Another problem, I have found the CD-ROM device to generate errore like below, 2 times after I installed the CD-RW:

kernel: hdd: ATAPI reset complete
kernel: hdd: irq timeout: status=0xd0 {Busy}
kernel: hdd: irq timeout: error=0xd0LastFailedSense 0x0d

Once it makes the system hung intermittenly, it almost crashed the system. But I managed to reboot and it seems that it fixed the problem (at least up till now). I don't know if this just coincidence of has anything to do with the newly installed CD-RW.

So, no real quantitative assesment yet (not sure how to do that), but I am wondering if mixing the IDE-SCSI simulated device (CD-RW) and IDE/ATAPi device (CD-rom) in a single channel as Master and Slave would make my CD-ROM slower and generate those problems.

No it's most likely due to the fact that you're using a master slave config. What kernel rev are you running? What settings do the 2 drives claim via hdparm? "hdparm -vi /dev/hdc /dev/hdd"?

-- Unless you can't avoid it never put a serial number on any of your systems!! (The Numberless Rule of Hardware Acquisition) Sam Flory <sflory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>