Re: support for controller and Serial ATA

At 23:40 2/18/2004, you wrote:
Reuben D. Budiardja wrote:

Another thing I'm considering is to use Serial ATA card and Serial ATA drives instead, because they're faster.

Is this true? I've never seen anything beat Ultra 320 SCSI with 15K drives in striped RAID.

IS SATA faster? If so I need to adjust my train of thinking is all.

You need to adjust your frame of reference. 7200rpm consumer-type drives, regardless of interface, are not going to be faster than the state-of-the-art in server or workstation-class disks at DOUBLE the rotation rate.

Speaking of interfaces, I would expect SATA to eventually scale beyond SCSI but at this point the first version of SATA is slower than U320, I think.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com